Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Valdes: Barca fans now chant my name, but I’m still leaving

Valdes: Barca fans now chant my name, but I’m still leaving

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes admits the reception he has received from fans this year has been terrific, but he will still leave the club at the end of the season.

valdes

The 32-year-old stopper joined Barcelona at the age of 13 and has spent almost 20 years at the club he holds very close to his heart.
Having featured over 400 times for the Liga giants, Valdes now feels it is time to move on and embark on another journey in his long and illustrious career.
With three Champions League, six La Liga, two Copa del Rey, two UEFA Super Cup and two FIFA Club World Cup triumphs to his name, the Spaniard is one of the most decorated keepers in world football, but, despite overwhelming support from the Barcelona fans, Valdes will play his last game for the Catalan club this season.
“This year they're chanting my name. I'm proud of that. Maybe it's because they know this is my last season and I'm still giving everything,” Valdes told The Guardian’s Sid Lowe.
“I was honest. It's hard for people to understand but I did what my heart told me. People around me have to understand what I am like too. Why hide? Why say 'let's see'?"
Much speculation has surrounded the Barcelona-born stopper as to where he will ply his trade for the upcoming season, but, despite reports linking Valdes to both Manchester City and Monaco, he still has not decided on his future.
"I've not got anything (planned) yet. No one knows me. What's 'retire'? To go somewhere and disrespect my team-mates who want to win and you've got some other attitude? No. Besides, it could be that when you free yourself from certain pressures you optimise your performances."

No comments:

Post a Comment